21 August 2012

Turkana: part two

*One of those moment you just can't shake and will be impacted by the rest of your life.

Part TWO:
We drove over an hour on a dirt road then turned onto what they called a road but it was mostly a pathway people walk on and it goes through many dry river beds. (i would not consider it a road)  We drove on that for an hour then turned again and drove out into land that for sure was no road.  We dodged tress, shrubs, cactus, climbed small hills, went through more dry river beds, and then arrived where Ian's mom lives.  We took the first wife of the step father with us to lead the way.  So strange.  But apparently they get along well.  Not saying its right but I was surprised how much the wives all care for each other.  She's one old mama though, very welcoming of us but did she ever stink of alcohol.  We would have never known the place or recognized where they lived, it was camouflaged.  They have dome homes made of sticks and brush.  One dome was a kitchen, another for sleeping in, one with plastic old tarps covering for if it rains which isn't often.  Then one for the livestock.  And around their homes is a "hedge" which is brush that has thorns in it.

  I had no idea what to expect going there.  I wondered how Ian’s mom would respond.  I call her second born child one of my sons now.  Was she ok with that?  Last time they went she was in shock to find he was even alive.  They said she didn't smile at all when they visited her.  This time though was so sweet.  She came out of her kitchen to see us pull up and smiled.  She came to the entrance of their little area they live and had us wait while she went to get a bowl of water.  (all her bowls made from trees) She filled one with the little water she had on hand and came to splash us all with it as she welcomed us.  It was a refreshing little welcome, it being the hottest time of day.  No hugs though.  Oh no.  They don't hug.  Maybe a handshake.  

We went into their compound and into the kitchen and Ian introduced her to me.  She was thankful for all we've done to help.  Whew, so we were good!  No tribal wars over Ian :).  She then left to go find the step-father who was out for the day.  Not sure what he was doing but he was out in the boonies somewhere.  It took her several hours to go find him and bring him back.  Ian told us its respectful to welcome guest if the man of the family is around.  So we waited, and waited, and waited.  I enjoyed sitting on a dried out animal skin on their kitchen floor.  We had brought beans and maize for them so Lomanai immediately went to cooking for the four little ones there.  She made this soupy looking ugali, more like grits.  It was yellowish color.  She then poured sour goats milk on it for the kids to eat.  Ian then drank some and they passed it around for us to try.  It wasn’t too bad, just not planning to go into business to make it.  Ian, Dan, Caleb, Jordan and Bud then roamed around, picking wild fruits and chopping sticks.  I sat with Lomenai and the four little ones.  At one point a teenage girl from a few miles away came in and started making a bracelet with tiny beads Lomanai had.  I pulled out my phone to play music and show picutres of my kids.  They laughed and laughed.  

Eating the first time after several days 
Bud ducking inside the kitchen, he always brings laughter to the kids

Lomenai and I 

Ian's youngest half sister, listening to music on Ian's phone for the first time, very curious what it is.

We then had some pb&j out at the car and finished up the large jug of water we brought out.  Ian’s little brother showed up, he had been out herding the goats.  He’s around 13 years old.  No expression on his face at all.  He really wants to come to Kitale and go to school but the step father has refused so far.  So we respect that and wait until we can put him in school.  He’s never been and spends everyday herding goats.  It was hard to watch his disappointment, but trusting things will change.  

Ian's brother back for a break from herding goats... Ian shared a pb&j sandwich with him

The mom and step-father eventually showed up.  He was welcoming of us but had few words.  It was getting late and we still needed to go meet Dan’s family and get back before dark.  We made small talk then the mom shared how hungry they are.  That was obvious.  So we left them with a big sack of beans and maize and said we hope to come back in a few weeks.  It’s raining a bit more and the tarps on their house have holes so we plan to bring one.  Looking forward to building more relationship with this family and sharing Jesus.  The time there impacted my heart big time.  Finding out the the little kids there only eat two or three times a week was shocking.  Sweet sweet kids.  I wanted to wrap ‘em up and love on them but they just dont know affection so I wasn’t about to be the weird white person imposing it... yet :).  We drove off and found our way through the dessert again.  

 We had our own police man.  He is Lomenai's brother-in-law.

 Bud and Jordan

 Ian and Lomenai with their step-father.  Don't be fooled, it was well over 100 degrees but they still like to wrap a blanket around them for clothes

Me sitting under a tree with Ian's mom, the other wife to the step-dad, and some of the children.  This was when she shared with me the hunger they endure.  If only it was as easy as me sweeping 'em up and bringing them home with me.  Continuing to pray how to best meet their needs and ultimately bring the gospel to their whole family.  


NeNe said...

This is absolutely amazing. My lovely daughter in law, "with child" no less, graciously walking out a dream she's had in her heart for quite some time. I can't say I've ever read a story I enjoyed more.

Post a Comment


Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations